Friday, October 06, 2006

Rungs to no where


Rungs to no where
Originally uploaded by norbography.
Well it isn't often I get home and download my photos and see one that came out exactly how I had planned it. But today, I struck it.

Whilst wandering around the northen end of Pyrmont, I came across these weird, but terrific, sculptures. They are located in Pyrmont Point Park. You are probably wondering why I called them sculptures. Well, I am just going off a sign I saw that said "Don't climb on sculptures". They are actually moving structures that are powered by the waves/tide and wind. The black part you see holding the ladder is cantilevered off the wharf and has a large float at the other end. When the waves hit it, it move up and down. The ladders have 2 panels in them at the top. You can see them in the photo. The wind hits them and pushes them over. I would love to be there in a southerly buster with a huge sea.

I was pleased with this shot, as I took quiet a bit of time setting it up. I wanted to get exactly in the middle of the ladder. I wanted it to be in a position where it looked like you could climb into the clouds. And the thing that took the longest, was waiting for the clouds to give me a gradual light to dark look in the background. It took some time, but I reckon it was worth the wait.

1 comment:

fourth said...

And you recon your not an art geek.